Toxic Black Mold Symptoms
Today, I will be describing toxic black mold symptoms. Not all mold that appears to be dark or black is toxic. At times, the mold can be slimy and wet or dry when moisture isn’t present. This mold grows at a slower rate than most other molds. Typical mold grows within 1-2 days, but toxic black mold colonizes up to 12 days. It is best to have the mold tested. This will identify if the fungus is Stachybotrys chartarum (toxic black mold). It has been tied to diseases as minor as hay fever, to those as serious as liver damage, pulmonary edema, and in the most severe cases, brain or nerve damage and even death. If it tests positive and have symptoms mentioned in this article, seek medical attention.
Why have we seen more mold symptoms recently? Well, now that more homes are being built to be energy efficient, water-damaged buildings can’t “breathe”. This creates a perfect, ripe environment for mold spores to thrive. Another cause is from the transition of plaster to drywall. Wet drywall tends to be a very good place for it to flourish.
Groups of Symptoms
The types of symptoms are grouped as:
As you can see, it can affect most parts of your body. This can be deadly, so it must be taken seriously. Thousands of people suffer from the poisoning so it’s better to be safe than sorry. Exposure for long periods of time can cause a mixture of symptoms. You can develop chronic fatigue and/or headaches, mucous membranes of the mouth, nose and throat, chronic coughing, sneezing, rashes, fever and irritation to the eyes. Severe cases would be worsening of the above stated symptoms. You can also become a host to these spores and would succumb to toxicity. Healthy individuals could receive a mild allergic reaction, but very young, elderly, or unhealthy people with weak immune systems would have an increased chance of becoming hospitalized.
Toxic Black Mold can be absorbed through the skin, ingested and breathed in. This will eventually make its way into the blood stream.
- Irregular heartbeat
- Heart inflammation
- Damage to heart
- Low blood pressure
- Bone marrow disruption
- Bleeding tendency
- Blood not clotting properly
- Hemorrhage – internal bleeding
- Vomiting up blood
- Bleeding in the brain and in other organs
If you are pregnant, stay away from this environment. This could potentially cause harm to yourself and the fetus.
- Fetal development problems
Mold toxicity produces PEA and gultamate. It affects the nervous system of electrified brain signals. Neurons in the brain can be killed and impair one’s mental ability. Anxiety, mood swings and irritability would be produced and could be difficult to control.
- Brain fog
- Shortened attention span
- Difficulty concentrating and paying attention
- Slowed reflexes
- Memory loss and memory problems
- Impaired learning ability
- Aggression and other personality changes
Black Mold mycotoxins entering the body through the skin is one of the main ways of infection.
- Crawling skin
- Dermatitis – skin inflammation, rash, blisters, itchiness
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin)
You may seem tired while your body’s immune system is trying to fight the mold. While this is happening, your body is releasing a chemical called Chloral Hydrate.
- Chronic fatigue
- Aches and pains
- Muscle pain
- Chest pain
- Abdominal pain
- Joint pain
- Malaise – general discomfort
- Cold or flu type symptoms or recurring colds
When you spend long periods of time in a mold infested space, you will feel a burning sensation in your nose, mouth and throat. In major cases it will cause bleeding within your nose and lungs.
- Difficulty breathing – breathlessness or shortness of breath
- Pulmonary edema – swelling of the lungs
- Pulmonary hemorrhage – bleeding in the lungs
- Sore throat
- Burning sensation of the mouth
- Bleeding gums
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
- Stuffy, blocked nose
- Nose bleeds
Your eyes will be irritated with the contact of mold spores. This can lead to constant tearing and vision problems.
- Eye inflammation and soreness
- Red or bloodshot eyes
- Eye damage
- Blurry vision and vision worsening
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes)
Since many antibiotics are made from mold, there may be a huge reduction of suppressive drugs you can take.
- Immunosuppression – immune system not functioning properly
- Infections reoccurring
Ugh. Great article. What are your thoughts on using essential oils to fight airborne mold spores? I have uses doTerra onguard in my home.
Some say that Essential Oils have the ability to reduce mold problems. Extensive tests have not been run to prove otherwise. Studies have been mixed, but all agree that mold must be visible for it to work. One thing is for certain, keeping the air moisture in check will help for sure.